A new non-fiction picture book biography from Laurie Wallmark? YES, PLEASE!
But first, let me tell you a few facts about my friend Laurie.
- We were in our first critique group together 13 years ago.
- We’re in a critique group together again now.
- She was the first person to tell me an agent wanted to talk to me. (Yes, this one’s about me.)
- We chair the RUCCL 1-on-1 Conference together. This year it will be the RUCCL Home-to-Home Conference.
- She loves writing about “dead women in STEM”.
When asked about why she likes writing about these women, Laurie says that she’s guaranteed they won’t make any major discoveries AFTER their biography is published.
And now, let’s reveal the cover for CODE BREAKER, SPY HUNTER, illustrated by Brooke Smart!
CODE BREAKER, SPY HUNTER: HOW ELIZEBETH FRIEDMAN CHANGED THE COURSE OF TWO WORLD WARS tells the exciting story of how Elizebeth’s code-cracking skills helped capture rum runners and break up Nazi spy rings. But there’s more…
Take a look at the book cover. See how a ribbon of letters surrounds Elizebeth? It contains a coded message. Other hidden messages are scattered throughout the book’s illustrations. Can’t figure it what they say? When you read the book, the back matter will show you how to crack the code.
This book will be released by Abrams Books for Young Readers on March 2, 2021.
Let’s also take a sneak peek inside!
Looks like another winner by Laurie!
Now if I could only break the code of writing a picture book biography…